Three deaths over two weeks, all in the same guest room at a Best Western Hotel in Boone, North Carolina, have been attributed to carbon monoxide poisoning.
An elderly couple visiting from Washington State were found dead in the hotel room, and the authorities initially said that they could not determine the cause of death. Then, two weeks later, an 11-year-old boy died in the same room. This time, all three deaths were attributed to carbon monoxide.
Left unsolved is the source of the smothering gas. "As of today, the business remains closed and under the control of investigators," said the local police chief. Examiners from the state board overseeing plumbing, heating and fire sprinkler contractors will going through the hotel.
Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is colorless, odorless and tasteless. It is often produced in domestic or industrial settings by older motor vehicles and other gasoline-powered tools, heaters, and cooking equipment.
Symptoms of mild acute poisoning include lightheadedness, confusion, headaches, vertigo and flu-like effects. Larger exposures can kill or severely injure a person.
Twenty-five states have laws that require carbon monoxide detectors in hotels. Florida has such a law, but North Carolina, where this unfortunate tragedy occurred, does not.
If a hotel is not required to have carbon monoxide detectors installed, then the only way to protect yourself is to bring your one. There are a number of small, battery powered devices that you can easily carry with you.
Our office has handled many claims involving injuries at hotels and motels. If you or a loved one was injured in hotel or motel, you need an experienced Florida hotel or motel injury lawyer to handle your claim. Steven Meyer is board certified in civil trial law by The Florida Bar, which indicates that he is a specialist in handling civil cases, including hotel or motel injuries. Our office offers a free initial consultation. Please give us a call if you or a loved one have been injured in a motel or hotel in Florida.